If you have a pet, you know that they will be adventurous and will randomly attempt to eat something they shouldn't. If they eat an indigestible material or a poisonous substance, acting fast is one of the safest ways to protect your pet in these circumstances. Early action will save a pet's life.

As a pet parent, your dog's or cat's health must always be the first concern, but knowing what items may affect them can help a lot to ensure your furry friend's safety, since some of these items may move harmlessly through their digestive tract, while some may cause serious problems. When you catch your pet eating anything they shouldn't, the most helpful thing you can do is remove whatever they're already trying to eat. It just depends on what they've eaten; if they eat more, their situation will escalate.

You can or may not see your dog eat anything they shouldn't; often there are visible indications, but often times there aren't, but if you have suspicions, intervening immediately to see if what they ate was risky is the next move, then you should start looking for odd behavior or other common symptoms. If you note any of the following signs, he might have consumed something foreign or toxic:

  • Vomiting or gagging
  • Shaking
  • Trouble breathing
  • Coughing
  • Lethargy
  • Changes in typical behavior
  • Lack of appetite
  • Diarrhea or constipation

Any symptoms and reactions can take 6 to 12 hours to manifest or change your pet's behavior, but if you find any of the above habits, get them tested by our veterinarians as soon as possible. Ensure that something remotely poisonous is out the sight of your pet.


Some of the things your pet MUST always avoid eating are: Chocolate, Milk, Grapes/Raisins, Macadamia Nuts, Garlic, Onions, Avocado, Yeast Dough, Apple Cores, Xylitol (often found in gum and candy), Caffeine, Alcohol, Salt, Peach/Plum Pits, Cleaning Products and Human Medicine/Vitamins.

Remember that none of these tips are intended to replace proper consultation with a professional; the only way you can protect your dog or cat is to contact Lakeshore Vet and Pet Lodge for advice or medication as soon as possible if you are concerned about your pet's welfare. And if you're not sure why they consumed anything they shouldn't have, it's better to be careful!

When you have questions over what your pet might have ingested, the closest one to consult is a veterinarian. If your dog or cat swallows a foreign object or you think they swallowed something they shouldn't have, contact Lakeshore Vet and Pet Lodge at Mandeville (985) 626-5615

Keep your pet healthyVisit our office today

MON - Fri:
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
8:00 am - 1:00 pm